The well preserved architecture of Stonington Borough serves as a remarkable document that reflects the cultural diversity and landscape.
Wealth & Success
From the vernacular gambrel roofed cottages of the first inhabitants, the tenement style homes of the immigrant and working class residents, the grand Federal, Greek Revival, Beaux Arts, and Queen Anne testaments of wealth and success– Stonington’s architectural history is on display every day.
National Historic District
Today, the entire Borough is a National Historic District. Its historic charm is being carefully preserved and protected by a collaboration of private and public groups.
Elkanah Cobb House
The Elkanah Cobb house is one of the earliest examples of a gambrel roofed cottage and dates to 1789. Stonington Borough was settled beginning in 1752 and the 170 acre peninsula was settled quickly by farmers, fishermen, ship builders, sailors, seamen, and merchants.
Charles Hewitt Smith House (1820) on Main Street in Stonington Borough was the home of a contractor who built more than 14 lighthouses along the eastern seaboard. He also built Stonington’s inner breakwater and the Custom House on Main Street.
The Amos Palmer House (1787) survived the Battle of Stonington with a cannonball lodged in a hearthstone and was later home to George Washington Whistler and his son, James McNeil Whistler and of course, Whistler’s Mother. Other renowned residents included the author Stephen Vincent Benet and his wife and the artist and author, James Houston.